Sunday, December 9, 2012

What is Islam? And other preparations...

So this was a different week. In every other class we have been allowed to take notes so on and so forth, but not this week. It was completely oral. It was explained that we were being taught this way because when we encountered objections from Muslims, we wouldn't be able to go to our notes and find how to respond. It needed to be in the forefront of our minds and in our own words.
Being from a western education system where it was required to take notes, it was a moment of shock and dismay for me because I'm not accustomed to this type of teaching. But it turned out really good, because it really made you think through stuff before asking questions and memorization is key.
I learned many new things about Islam: Abrogation, the Hadiths, how the Koran was compiled into a "single" text, how it is a sin for Muslims to question the Koran (and that if you question it, Muslims usually become angry) and more about the history of Muhammad.
One of the most interesting things about this week however had to be how they view Christians. They often know more about Christianity than about their own faith, but it has a twist to it. Many Muslims believe that when a Christian says Son of God, in reference to Jesus, they believe we are saying that God came down and had sex with Mary. But that is clearly not what we believe, so it is important to make sure that when talking to a Muslim, that you are using the same definition.
Another thing was the use of honor and shame. For Muslims, everything is honor and shame, and so it is important to make sure that you don't make them feel shame. In other words, don't make them feel inferior. This makes it very hard to use debating to convince a Muslim, because it is an attempt to prove them wrong, which puts them in a position of shame.
This can work in your favor however. If a Muslim is speaking against the Bible (which they believe is the word of God), then you can use shame to make them stop. Here's an example. A Muslim is saying that the Bible isn't true. My response could be. "What do you think about God? Do you think that man can change Gods word? What a shameful thing to say." This makes them stop because they are shaming them selves by speaking against God's word.
There are many more examples of how special care needs to be taken when witnessing to Muslims, but I think you get the idea.
It really opened my heart up to the Muslim world as well. They are just like any other lost people that God is heart broken over. The only way that we can come to a place of authentic witness is when we have God's heart, and that is where we can witness from.
This weekend was going out and buying some of the stuff we would need for Senegal. The list seemed to keep getting longer and longer. Thankfully, I have most of the stuff I will need and just need to order a few more things.
We also all went out and visited a Christian bookstore in the area. It was really cool to see (and I saw Wayne Grudem's Théologie Systématique. Really wanted it, but expensive) I was able to buy a really cheap French Bible, along with another journal. I now have three Bibles with me.
So I think that about sums it up. I only have another two weeks here at the school, and then for my grand tour of Europe. I will be going to London, and then Paris, and on to Switzerland. I need to leave France and the cheapest place to go is London ( Then going with some friends from the school here to Switzerland via Paris.) I really look forward to being able to see many of the places that you read about in history books. The craziest thing is that I will be spending Christmas in Paris! Who would have thought that I would have this opportunity. It makes me so thankful to you back home for your support, and for God's faithfulness in bringing me on this journey to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment