Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Phase 1 Complete; Commence with Phase 2

      So this is it. The final class of our DTS. Twelve weeks of intense teaching, intimate encounters with God, and moments when my life was just laid bare. It's both sad and exhilarating that I have reached this point, and in part it is thanks to you for the financial support and the prayer that you have offered on my behalf.
This weeks teaching was on the one topic that we haven't looked at yet; the Bible. It wasn't a in depth study of how the Bible came into being or how to read the original Greek and Hebrew, but it was a concise and simple teaching on the evolution from individual manuscripts into a comprehensive text. This was a class devoted more to getting us to think about the Bible, and pursue the answers within the text.
The topic that I really enjoyed and will take more time to study later is the inspired nature of the Bible and what to do when you see "contradictions". When you encounter a seeming contradiction, instead of just running off to tell the world that the Bible is a bunch of hooey, to think that maybe you are reading the particular passage out of context, or that you don't understand it. I realize this isn't the clearest way of saying this, but for me it doesn't just apply to the Bible but to other texts as well, and life in general. Think through something before jumping to conclusions. It was a nice way to wrap up the teaching by going back to basics.
     A bunch of people needed their immunizations for Senegal, primarily the Yellow Fever vaccine, so we all piled into the cars and made the trip to Avignon, the city of Popes. It's a bit weird that it's called that because the last time a pope lived in Avignon was in the 14th century. Seeing as the three American's were all set with  our shots, we decided to brave the French city on our own.
     It was really cool to see another French town and be able to explore, but it was sad to see the state of disrepair the city had fallen into. Graffiti and the like. All that couldn't take away from the beauty of the square. I took lots of photos which I will hopefully be uploading tomorrow before I leave for Christmas break.
     It was very cool to see the history of the place and visit the places that are talked about in history books, and and being a history nut, I soaked it all in. I saw the Pont d'Avignon, which is one of the most ridiculous looking pieces of architecture that I have ever seen. It is only half a bridge that just ends in the middle of the Rhone. We all took some time to mock this creation, and then took pictures in front of it! 
     Here is a  well know French rhyme that once you get in your head, never goes away.
Sur le pont d'Avignon
L'on y danse, l'on y danse
Sur le pont d'Avignon
L'on y danse tous en rond
Les beaux messieurs font comm' ça
Et puis encore comm' ça
     It was rather rainy and cold so we then went to Ikea. To get hot dogs. And they were awful. But I had two because I was starving. I thought that it was rather funny that an American was at a Swedish store in France. This made me laugh for quite some time. (Don't judge me.)
     Saturday was a go, go, go day. Everybody was rushing around preparing a Christmas feast. Roast potatoes, roast pork, Yorkshire puddings, spiced cider and mulled wine. I, true to form, volunteered for far to many things, and was running in three different directions. 
     It was a fantastic night, a great turnout and we even had a Secret Santa! It was a really great time, and it made me realize how much I really love my family and friends.
     (Phase 2 to follow)

1 comment:

  1. haha! "This made me laugh for quite some time. (Don't judge me.)"
    Best two lines ever.. :D And it made me laugh also.. :)

    ReplyDelete